As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Beef Skirt – Asada
Skirt steak is a very popular option for Carne Asada for a reason: it’s fatty and full of flavor. It is usually compared or substituted with Flank Stick but they are quite different in texture and so in cooking time. Skirt beef is usually very cheap and full of taste, and before cooking It will benefit from a short marinade that will help in tenderizing. This cut is best cooked hot and fast on a grill: Ideally you should use an outside grill but if you do not have one, do not worry, you can follow instructions on how to grill it easily at home and make sure to control the internal temperature with a meat thermometer . The marinade, commonly used for Carne Asada, is based on acidic juice and spices so the process should be short (about 2-3 hours). If you want to prepare the meat in advance, you can take out the lime juice and marinate it overnight in the fridge.
- 3 whole dried ancho chiles, stems and seeds removed
- 2 whole dried chipotle chiles (smoked peppers)
- Fresh juice from 3 oranges, preferably sour oranges
- Fresh juice from 2 lime
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- fresh cilantro (as much as you like)
- 3 medium cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2lb Skirt beef, clean and trimmed
- Mix all the ingredients in a blender and get a marinade.
- Cover/submerge the entire piece of meat in the marinade. You can use a zip-lock bag or a large bowl. Leave in the fridge for 3 to max completely covered.
- Remove the meat from the marinade and tap the excess with kitchen paper.
- They are now ready to be grilled. Make your grilling surface as hot as you can and grill the meat for 3-5 min each side.
- Enjoy with salad, fresh tomatoes and rocket salad or in a soft taco.