Are you planning to buy an infrared grill and want to ensure that you are buying from the best brand? Then, you are in the right place since we will cover the best infrared grill under $500.
Other details covering infrared grills, such as the types of this grill as well as advantages and disadvantages of using this product, will also be covered. Don’t forget to check out the features to look at when choosing the best infrared grill under $500.
What are infrared grills?
Infrared grills use infrared energy to heat the metallic or ceramic surface at a high temperature. The grates of infrared grills operate on an infrared system, which generates heat. Infrared grills produce higher temperatures than convection or radiation technology.
Infrared grills run on gas and make use of an infrared element creating a barrier between the flame and the grates. This means the flame does not touch the grates directly.
The infrared element is heated by the gas, which, as a result, radiates intense heat to cook your food items. Also, it makes it ideal for outdoor cooking sessions.
If you want to achieve a higher temperature on the best infrared grill under $500, you will need more infrared energy. Other infrared grills have gas burners under the grates to improve the efficiency and heat production of the product.
However, if you don’t want to cook at a high temperature, you can pair our infrared grills with ceramic tiles instead of steel emitters.
Infrared grills are essentially a broiler, similar to the method used by fast-food restaurants for cooking chicken. The infrared burner emits radiant energy that cooks food, but doesn’t use any visible flame or direct heat source — so they don’t produce smoke and charring associated with propane and other fuels.
Finally, one word of caution: Because of the intense heat generated in an infrared grill, foods cooked at very high temperatures can burn quickly. So it’s important not to cook in larger pieces and let them sit and sear long enough before turning over to avoid burning the surface. If you’re not familiar with how
How do infrared grills work compared to gas grills?
Traditional gas grills use a heating method called convection, where the heat rises from the propane burner and is transferred to the grill. The hot air will also circulate throughout the grill to cook the food inside.
Unlike gas grills, infrared grills do not heat the air around the meat. Instead, it directly heats the grates, which then heat the food. While traditional gas grills can’t exceed 600ºF, the best infrared grill under $500 can quickly heat your food to 1600ºF.
Infrared grills use high heat and a small amount of oil to cook the food quickly. It cooks the food from inside out, so there is no need for flipping. The temperature can be adjusted to suit the cooking needs. An electric broiler is essentially an oven with a steel rail in which you can attach metal roasting pans (or flat drip pans). A heating element called a ‘broil’ tube emits radiant heat.
Types of infrared grills
There are many types of infrared grills, but we have come up with the three most common ones to make our list more concise. The types of infrared grills listed below are classified based on their heating systems.
TEC System is the name of the company that came up with this type of infrared grill. The company managed to build various models with different temperature ranges and capacities.
However, TEC System infrared grills are not as powerful as other types since they can only heat up to 350-850°F. Despite that, this type of grill ensures that the food is evenly cooked.
Heat Emitter System
Infrared grills that use a heat emitter system produce heat from the burners, which are made of stainless steel tubes that can only reach up to 650°F. The core of the heating system relies on the heat conduction mechanism for efficient heat transfer. The emitting panel receives the heat after the burners reach the ideal temperature for heat transfer.
Ceramic Burner System
Choose an infrared grill that uses a ceramic burner system if you want to cook using high temperatures and want the food to be ready in a short amount of time.
This is one of the best types of infrared grill if you are cooking seafood. However, the lack of versatility in the temperature ranges can also be its major disadvantage. This type of infrared grill can only heat up to 600-1000°F.
What is a good infrared grill?
Our top pick for the best infrared grill under $500 in 2022 is the Char-Broil Signature TRU Infrared Burner. It is a 4-burner cabinet-style grill made with stainless steel.
With its TRU infrared cooking technology and 34,000 BTU, you can quickly sear steaks and cook burgers for a crowd of people.
Ample cooking space: With 450 square inches of cooking space, which is more than enough if you want to have a fun cookout outside
TRU infrared cooking technology: Cook your food quickly and evenly with no flare-ups
Stainless steel design: The grill is made with stainless steel and porcelain grates so you can ensure that it is durable and long-lasting
Easy to use: Simply push the "Start" ignition button to begin cooking
Extra features: The infrared grill comes with extra features such as a fold-away warming rack and a side shelf for additional storage or prep area
Why Consider Infrared grills?
- Minimized Flare-Ups
The most striking advantage of owning an infrared grill is the safety it offers from flare-ups. Even though this model reduces flare-ups while still providing impressive searing heat. Plus, it provides a better taste.
Another thing that makes infrared grills appealing is the uniform heat distribution across the cooking grates. This means there are no more cold or hot spots, which ensures your guests have a pleasurable eating experience.
- Fast Cooking
Infrared grills cook about 30% faster than charcoal grills and traditional gas grills since you don’t have to wait for the unit to heat up. They can reach a high temperature of 700 degrees F in a few minutes. This blazing speed is a result of heating the food directly.
- Juicy Goodness
Typically, the dish is not heated, but the air surrounding the food. Infrared grills heat the food item directly by making the molecules vibrate. This means all the juiciness in your food item is trapped.
- Convenience Outdoor Cooking
Usually, in a windy atmosphere, the cooking process gets slower. An infrared grill performs better in situations like this since it’s not affected by wind movements. Plus, you get to produce tasty dishes despite the bad weather.
- Are They Safe to Use?
An infrared grill is similar to a microwave oven in terms of safety since they both share the same technology – electromagnetic energy for heating the dishes. This electromagnetic radiation is harmless except when used as X-rays, i.e., in a high amount.
However, with an infrared grill, you don’t need to worry about such risk, as it uses a low radiation level. Besides, every object radiates infrared providing they do not have an absolute zero temperature, without causing any potential risk to us and other living beings.
Advantages of using an infrared grill over traditional grills
Here are the advantages of using an infrared grill
- An infrared grill offers a broader range of temperature settings that you can easily adjust based on the type of meat you are cooking
- Using an infrared grill is easier since it heats up faster than traditional grills
- You can achieve an evenly-cooked food when using an infrared grill since it has an excellent heat distribution
- Since an infrared grill can get high heat, it is an excellent choice to use for searing steaks or cooking food faster
- An infrared grill can work better than a gas grill during cold or windy weather
Best things about infrared grills
The grill is a wonderful device for cooking up barbecue favorites. It does give food that delicious grilled flavor and can cook food quickly. While all grills work the same way, infrared grills have some very specific benefits. Here are a few benefits of an infrared grill.
1) An infrared grill uses a heating element at a much higher rate than other types of grills do. The result is faster cooking times without compromising on quality or taste. Many people use these grills to get ready for large gatherings in a very short amount of time. In addition, you never have to worry about cold spots or grimy flare-ups with this type of grill because it cooks from the inside out.
2) An infrared grill does not release dangerous chemicals into the air during operation like other types of grills do. So you and your family can breathe easier when it is in use. You also won’t have to worry about breathing in charcoal dust and smoke that contains carcinogenic particles and gases. Plus, this type of grill doesn’t cause smog and toxic fumes to form above the cooking area like many gas or charcoal grills do either.
3) Cleanup with an infrared grill is a breeze since there is no ash to get rid of after using it. Instead, all you need to clean your grill surface are soapy rags and dish soap for handwashing. If you want, you can put the cover over the grill after every use to eliminate both dust and dirt from accumulating on the surface. That will make cleaning even easier for you too.
4) With an infrared grill, there is no need for aluminum foil to catch drippings since it doesn’t cause flare-ups or produce carbonized food particles. You also don’t have to worry about grease buildup under the lid of your grill either since it cooks from the inside out. Plus, food tends to stay moist because of this reason as well.
5) An infrared grill produces a healthier plate presentation than most other types of grills do too. Since fish, meats, and poultry retain their natural juices, that is a win-win situation for everyone concerned with good health and fantastic fare that tastes great at the same time.
6) In addition, you’ll never have to worry about any grill flare-ups when using an infrared grill either since it doesn’t have a glowing hot surface inside where the food is being cooked. This gives you easy access to your food and makes it safer in terms of preventing accidental burns also.
7) For people who cook with low-fat products, an infrared grill provides a healthier way to cook without sacrificing taste or flavor in any way. So you can indulge in all your favorite foods without worrying about putting on extra pounds from eating too many saturated fats from meats that are grilled over charcoal or gas flames for extended periods.
8) In addition, an infrared grill uses less energy than most other grills do. So you’ll save money in the long term with this particular grill type when it comes to cooking your favorite foods.
So, when it comes time to buy a new grill for your home or business, an infrared grill should be at the top of your list when shopping around. You’ll enjoy all the benefits of cooking tasty food with less worry about investing in a cooking method that is dangerous to your health or harmful to the environment too.
What are the disadvantages of an infrared grill?
While there are a lot of benefits when it comes to using the best infrared grill under $500, there are also some disadvantages. Here are some of the downsides of using an infrared grill:
- Infrared grills are more expensive than traditional charcoal or gas grills
- Using infrared grills can be quite complex due to their high heat
- Since infrared grills can heat up quickly, it is not advisable to use them when you want to make slow cooking recipes like roasting, baking, or smoking
Best infrared grills under $500 in 2022
Here are the rest of the best infrared grills under $500 this 2022:
2. Camplux Propane Infrared Steak Grill
The Camplux Propane Infrared Steak Grill has 10,000 BTU, which can heat your food to 1600℉ within 2 minutes. This infrared grill has adjustable grills and trays that you can easily detach for easy and quick cleaning.
- Radiant Technology: The extreme temperature from the Radiant Technology lets the grill cook your steak and ribeyes as fast as 5 minutes
- Easy to use: You can quickly start cooking using this Camplux grill due to its simple pilot ignition system
- Stainless steel design: The grill is made with stainless steel, so it is durable and long-lasting
- Light and convenient design: The grill is compact enough to fit in the trunk of your car. Its portability allows you to take it anywhere easily
3. Char-Broil Grill2Go Portable TRU Infrared Grill
Are you planning to go camping? The Char-Broil Grill2Go Portable TRU Infrared Grill might be the best cooking appliance to bring with you. The TRU Infrared system will help you achieve a juicy and flavorful taste. The TRU technology reduces the flare-ups by creating a barrier between your food and the flames.
- Ample cooking space: With 200 square inches of cooking space, you can cook about eight burgers simultaneously
- TRU infrared cooking technology: Ensures that your food will be cooked under even heat, resulting in a juicier and tastier dish
- Stainless steel design: The grill is made with stainless steel and cast aluminum so that you can ensure ultimate durability
- Easy to use: Simply push the "Start" ignition button to begin cooking
- Grill on the go: You can quickly bring the grill anywhere since it has a convenient side carrying handles
4. GASPRO Multi-Tasking Propane Infrared Grill
If you want to serve steaks within 5 minutes, check out GASPRO Multi-Tasking Propane Infrared Grill. With 15,000 BTU, this grill can heat your food to 1500°F, so you can quickly cook steaks within 2 minutes per side.
- Ample cooking space: With 117 square inches of cooking space, you can cook meat, seafood, veggies, burgers, and more at the same time
- Various heat zones: There are six notches in the grill rack that show the grate's proximity to the infrared heat source. You can use these zones to determine where you should cook your food
- Stainless steel design: The grill is made with stainless steel to ensure durability and easy cleaning
- Easy to use: The grill has an easy-start electronic ignition that will warm up as quick as 4 minutes
- Extra tools and items: This infrared grill comes with additional items and tools such as a rod grid, grease tray, cast iron griddle, wooden grill tool, 5-feet POL adapter hose, and a pair of silicone oven mitts
5. Magma Products Newport 2 Infrared Grill
The last product on our list of the best infrared grill under $500 is the Magma Products Newport 2 Infrared Grill, which is perfect for grilling food even in heavy winds. It has a dependable electronic ignition system and dynamic combustion system that distributes heat evenly even in harsh environments.
- Ample cooking space: With 117 square inches of cooking space, you can cook meat, seafood, veggies, burgers, and more at the same time
- "Anti-Flare" infrared technology: Produces intense and evenly distributed heat to reduce flare-ups
- Easy to use: The dependable electronic ignition can quickly start the grill
- Stainless steel design: The grill is made with polished marine grade stainless steel to ensure durability and withstand harsh environments
- Grill on the go: This grill is suitable for use anywhere since it has fold-away table top legs so that you can grill on the go
- Viewing window: A tempered glass viewing window allows you to see what you are cooking without opening the grill
What should I look for when buying a cheap but best infrared grill under $500?
Brand reputation is not the only aspect you should look out for when buying the best infrared grill under $500. Here are other features you should consider:
Where will you be cooking?
You need to figure out where you want to use the grill. This factor ensures you pick a model that suits your basic needs. If you live in a city or want a grill, you can take it on trips; then, you opt for portable infrared grills. However, for those with a big backyard, veranda, and patio, then a medium to large-sized grill should fit just fine.
You must put this factor into consideration before making up your mind. They are available in different sizes, meant for a specific space – either small or big.
If you are cooking soft meat, get an infrared grill that cooks your food as fast as possible, like the Camplux Propane Infrared Steak Grill. However, ensure that your food is not overcooked by balancing out the temperature settings.
On the other hand, if you are planning to cook the meat slowly, look for an infrared grill on which you can balance the temperature range, such as the GASPRO Multi-Tasking Propane Infrared Grill. This brings us to the next factor…
How many do you want to feed?
Another important consideration is the number of people who are looking to feed. For those with a big family or often have a couple of extra friends over, then you consider a bigger grill. But keep in mind that the bigger the grill, the higher the price and fuel consumption. Also, you will need to spend more time cooking and cleaning.
The infrared grill’s maintenance is another crucial factor that you should not overlook. Make sure that you can easily clean it regardless of its size by choosing stainless steel infrared grills. Moreover, ensure that the product is made of quality parts.
Number of burners
Without a doubt, the infrared grill offers fast cooking with high temperatures and quick heat up. Nevertheless, you must check the number of burners it has before making a pick. If you are going for a portable grill, ensure it comes with more than one burner to ensure effective cooking.
However, bigger grills come with at least three burners, which is why they are capable of handling anything thrown at them. They offer fast and even heat, making your food cook just fine.
Costly infrared grills do not always promise quality performance and durability. The best infrared grill under $500 may provide you with features that you can also get with more expensive products. Thus, it would be best to do in-depth research to see which brand or type is the best for you.
In the end, it comes down to how much you are willing to spend to own an infrared grill. Your proposed budget helps pin down the kind of product to opt for. Therefore, if you are on a tight budget, then you lean towards cheaper models. But keep in mind that you will have to make some compromises.
However, if you are with a big, flexible budget, then you should probably be considering high-end grills that offer optimal satisfaction. High-priced models tend to provide great value for the money with exciting features, durability, and quality.
While expensive grills tend to last for several seasons, some affordable units are also cool to use with impressive efficiency.
Is an infrared grill better?
For some people, an infrared grill is a perfect way to cook meat. These grills are said to provide even heating and reduce flare-ups because they don’t produce any direct heat sources like other gas or charcoal flames do.
In our tests with different types of grills, we’ve found that these benefits exist for both styles – but not necessarily better than others! All in all though; if you’re looking for one type over another then there isn’t much difference between them when it comes down to who’ll make your food taste great 🙂
Are infrared grills hard to clean?
Keeping your infrared grill in top shape is as simple a process as cleaning any other BBQ, but you should take extra care when it comes time for inspection.
Inspecting an IR Grill at least twice per year will ensure that its components are functioning properly so there’s no need to worry about them breaking down or wearing out before their time!
Can you slow cook on an infrared grill?
Infrared grills are known for their ability to sear meats at extremely high temperatures, but they also have a low and slow setting.
Best infrared grill under $500: Conclusion
This article has reviewed the best infrared grill on the market. But it always comes down to your personal needs and preferences. If you still have trouble making a choice, you should check the buying guide section.
You will want to get an infrared grill if you like to cook food at higher temperatures. Using them allows you to save time and ensures that you can retain the flavor and moisture of the meat inside. This type of grill is one of the best cooking appliances to get, but it is often expensive.
Fortunately, we have found the best infrared grill under $500 that may suit you, the best choice being Char-Broil Signature TRU Infrared Burner. Don’t forget to consider the factors listed above before you make the final decision of choosing which grill to buy. Make sure to try out the best grilled recipes on your new infrared grill!