Wondering how to clean
Pit Boss griddles are long-lasting, inexpensive, and cook food quickly and uniformly.
They may be used to prepare a wide range of foods, making them suitable for any outdoor environment. Griddles are designed to handle wear and tear for longevity.
However, rust can be a problem for griddles if you don’t clean them regularly or if you reside in a place that is generally humid. After all, griddles are usually made of iron.
Follow the below steps to clean
- Prepare the griddle rust removal essentials
- Preheat your
Pit Bossgriddle to high
- Use a metal scraper to eliminate rust from the griddle
- Use a grill stone to clean your griddle
- Season the top of your griddle
- Apply another layer of cooking oil
Step 1: Prepare the griddle rust removal essentials
- Paper towels – check Amazon
- Heat-resistant gloves – check Amazon
- Grill stones – check Amazon
- Cooking oil sprayer – check Amazon
- A grill/griddle scraper – check Amazon
Step 2: Preheat your
Pit Boss griddle to high
Put on your heat-resistant gloves and turn your appliance on to high heat. Let it sit for 20 minutes at this temperature. This will soften the rust and make it easier to remove. After that, switch off your griddle and let it cool.
Step 3: Use a metal scraper to eliminate rust from the griddle
You’ll need a metal scraper to eliminate rust from the surface of your appliance. Scrape the whole flat top with a metal scraper while the rust is still loose. The griddle’s rust will begin to peel away easily.
Repeat this process until there is no more rust visible.
READ ALSO: BBQ Grill brush cleaning and safety guide
Step 4: Use a grill stone to clean your griddle
Using a grill stone, clean the griddle’s surface with 3 tablespoons of oil. Use sandpaper or steel wool if you can’t get a grill stone. To prevent damaging your griddle’s metal surface, scrub it using smooth circular motions.
Your appliance should be beautiful and sparkly after you’re finished.
Wipe down your griddle with paper towels to clean it completely. Add another 3 tablespoons of cooking oil to your appliance and wipe it off with paper towels. Repeat this process until there are no more traces of rust on the flat top.
Step 5: Season the top of your griddle
Season the top of your griddle to generate a rust-resistant covering. To season it, preheat your
Apply a layer of cooking oil to the surface of your
Allow the oil to burn at a high temperature to form a connection between the oil and the metal. When the oil is heated to a high temperature, the fatty acids link together to produce a new layer of molecules.
This coating functions as a moisture barrier and helps protect the surface of your
Step 6: Apply another layer of cooking oil
Apply another three tablespoons of oil when you’ve finished seasoning. This will provide a layer of protection against rust, moisture, and air.
If you follow the above griddle rust removal techniques, you would have a sparkling clean surface at this point. And that’s how to clean
Why is my
Pit Boss griddle rusting?
Rust can form on your griddle for a number of reasons.
- Moisture is the primary cause of
Pit Bossgriddle corrosion. Your appliance is more likely to rust if it is exposed to moisture, such as in a high-humidity area.
- If you keep the
Pit Bossgriddle outside, it will absorb some humidity from the atmosphere. In order to avoid rusting, the griddle is normally coated with a protective coating. Pit Bossgriddles, on the other hand, are formed of iron, and oxygen is present in the air. So, a little water is needed to rust a Pit Bossgriddle.
- The high acidity in foods like citrus fruits, which interacts with the iron and causes it to rust, can also cause rust to build up on your griddle.
- If you store your appliance in the kitchen, it’s likely that it’ll rust owing to the steam and water produced during cooking.
- Improper cleaning methods are another cause of griddle rust. This usually indicates that the
Pit Bossgriddle does not get completely dry, resulting in the formation of rust.
How to prevent the
Pit Boss griddle from rusting?
Below are some golden griddle rust removal tips:
- If you season your
Pit Bossgriddle before each use, you can keep it from rusting. Each time you cook on your Pit Bossgriddle, apply a thin layer of oil. Just add three to four tablespoons of oil and wipe it down with a paper towel.
- You should keep your griddle dry while not in use. Keep your appliance in a well-ventilated place if you reside in a humid environment.
- Keep your
Pit Bossgriddle out of the bathrooms.
- Investing in a heavy-duty canvas griddle cover will protect it from moisture. Store your
Pit Bossgriddle in a safe place after you’ve finished cooking until you’re ready to use it again.
- Avoid keeping sharp metal objects close by or piling things on the plate, as this may cause scratches.
- If your
Pit Bossgriddle has not been used for more than a week, it’s a good idea to observe it quickly at the start of the next month. It’s easier to clear out rust while it’s just beginning to form.
Can you cook on a rusty griddle?
Yes, you can cook on a rusty griddle. You should keep it to a bare minimum, though. It is important to note that cooking on a rusted griddle is only safe in small amounts.
Rust develops when the metal of your appliance is exposed to water. Iron oxide is the primary component of rust. Small iron oxide particles flake off the rusted appliance and enter your food while you cook.
The more iron oxide enters your food, the more you cook on a rusty
How long does vinegar take to get rid of rust?
Vinegar takes one to three days to get rid of rust from your griddle. The amount of time it takes vinegar to eliminate rust will be determined by the rusted item and the vinegar’s response to it. It’s worth noting that vinegar reacts differently to different metals.
For example, before vinegar can start corroding aluminum, it has to remove the protective oxide coating first.
Consequently, you have to take caution while using vinegar to remove rust from aluminum. Why? Because leaving aluminum in vinegar for an extended period of time will ruin the metal.
Hence, you should ensure to properly examine any metal in a vinegar solution in order to determine its state. And do not use vinegar on fragile or precious metal objects.
Which rust remover is best for
Pit Boss griddles?
A rust remover is a solution that is used to eliminate rust from metal. And how does the rust remover work? It penetrates and dissolves the rust before changing into a fluid that may be simply wiped off. The best rust remover for
- EVAPO-RUST RUST REMOVER: Evapo-Rust effortlessly removes rust from automotive parts, hardware, tools, cookware, and antiques without any scrubbing or sanding.
- SAFE TO USE: This metal rust remover is made of a non-toxic and water-based solution that is easy-to-use on automotive, household and industrial-grade metal parts. It contains no harmful acids,...
- VERSATILE: The non-corrosive rust remover can be used to remove rust from all metals including auto parts, tools, cast iron cookware, clocks, grills, and more.
The best part is that this rust remover is free of harmful odors, bases, solvents, and acids. Plus, it is non-toxic and safe for your skin, making it perfect for use in the home when dogs and kids are present. It’s biodegradable, making it simple to dispose of. You can safely use this rust remover on cast-iron cookware, plastics, grills, and non-rusty steel. This rust remover comes in a bottle of one gallon.
It takes some time to remove rust. A lightly corroded product may simply require 15 minutes of soaking. However, rust that is heavy may take up to 8 hours to remove.
The temperature of the rust remover can influence how long it takes for your
The most common